We think of white and creamy mounds of potato covered in gravy when we hear the phrase, "mashed potatoes." What we don’t think about is the color orange. Everyone seems to forget that sweet potatoes make a great substitute for the common Idaho potato.
Nothing says early November better than this easy recipe for Sweet Potato Mash. This recipe from the Food Network makes enough of this delectable side for a family of 4, and it's the perfect pairing for the approaching holiday season.
Sweet Potato Mash
- Pierce 4 sweet potatoes with a fork; microwave 8 minutes.
- Scoop the flesh into a bowl, then mash.
- Brown 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet, then add 8 sage leaves and fry until crisp; transfer to a plate.
- Cook 4 chopped scallions with salt and pepper in the browned butter.
- Drizzle scallions over the sweet potatoes; top with the sage.