Saratoga Hospital employs approximately 825 individuals from the Saratoga Springs community and an additional 1,400 at its other campuses. The not-for-profit hospital at 211 Church Street has been a fixture of area life for almost 120 years.
Established in 1891 as the Saratoga Emergency Hospital by a group of local women, the facility opened its doors in 1895 with twenty beds. It now has 207 beds and performs over 13,000 inpatient and outpatient surgeries each year; its emergency room had more than 40,000 visitors. Saratoga Hospital reports $250 million in annual revenue.
450 physicians plus other medical professionals and support staff offer a wide range of services at 19 different locations including Malta, Wilton, Ballston Spa, Ballston Lake, and Schuylerville.
The Albany Business Review and the Saratoga Business Journal report that a $36 million renovation began in April 2014, in response to increased demand for surgical care.As reported in Saratoga Today, the hospital intends to transform the intensive care unit adding 19 beds, and to replace an existing building with new and larger operating rooms in a 3-story, 34,000 square foot facility. Since 2000, the number of surgical procedures has increased by 75 percent and the medical staff by 63 percent. Bringing in new technologies as well as making it a more efficient facility is the goal of the renovation project.
A partnership between Glens Falls Hospital and Saratoga Hospital is currently under discussion with details expected to be announced by early 2015.
The Saratoga Hospital Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Saratoga Hospital, provides routine healthcare (primary, dental and behavioral health services) to the region's underinsured. The Saratoga Community Health Center opened in September 2013 at 24 Hamilton Street in Saratoga Springs, and is the only facility of its kind in the greater Saratoga region. Since then, 2,650 patients have taken advantage of its services. A yearly charity gala is an important source of support for the foundation; $40 million has been raised by the Foundation for the benefit of the Saratoga region community.