Saratoga County Transportation Options
An important consideration when moving to any community is the availability and convenience of local public, private and mass transit options. Saratoga County's prime location close to the larger cities of Schenectady and Albany make Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa and Malta centrally located and easily accessible. Here, we'll focus on Malta and its transportation options, but all of the services listed are extremely close to the other towns of Saratoga County.
Saratoga County by Car
Saratoga County's main artery is Interstate 87, which runs north/south. Malta sits just east of Interstate 87 at exits 11, 12, and 13, approximately 22 miles north of I-87's intersection with Interstate 90. Malta's main road is NY Route 9, which runs north/south parallel to the interstate. Ballston Spa lies just west of I-87 at exits 12 and 13. Saratoga Springs sits just west of I-87 at exits 13, 14, and 15.
Malta by Bus
- The Central District Transportation Authority (CDTA) runs bus service through Malta, connecting Malta with Saratoga Springs, Albany, Schenectady and Troy via the NX: Northway Xpress and other routes. Check the CDTA website for specific route and timing information for the Ballston Spa and Saratoga Springs communities.
- You can also the Malta Town Government website information page for commuters for more information regarding local bus services.
- For longer trips, Greyhound Bus service is available in Saratoga Springs, Schenectady, and Albany. See the Greyhound website for more information.
Saratoga County by Train
The nearest Amtrak stations are located in Saratoga Springs and Schenectady.
- The Saratoga Springs, NY (SAR) stop is just under 8 miles from Malta, and is serviced by the Ethan Allen Express and Adirondack Amtrak routes. Its address is 26 Station Lane, Saratoga Springs, NY, 12866.
- The Schenectady, NY (SDY) stop is about 13 miles from Malta, and is serviced by the Ethan Allen Express, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, and Adirondack Amtrak routes. Its address is 332 Erie Boulevard, Schenectady, NY, 12305.
- The Albany/Rensselaer (ALB) stop is about 23 miles from Malta, and is serviced by the Ethan Allen Express, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, and Adirondack Amtrak routes. Its address is 525 East Street, Rensselaer, NY 12144.
Malta by Air
- International Airports near Saratoga County
◦ Albany International Airport (ALB) - The Albany International airport is located approximately 20 miles south of Malta in Albany, NY, and serves the following airlines:
▪ Air Canada
▪ Cape Air
▪ Delta Airlines
▪ Southwest Airlines
▪ United Airlines
▪ US Airways.
- Local airports near Saratoga County
◦ Schenectady County Airport (SCH) in Glenville, NY, which is 17 miles from Malta
◦ Floyd Bennet Memorial Airport (GFL) in Glens Falls, NY, which is 33 miles from Malta
◦ The Rutland Southern Vermont Regional Airport (RUT) in Rutland, VT is 82 miles from Malta.
Buying a home in Saratoga County enables you to take advantage of a number of easy-to-use transportation options for trips to Albany, New York City, and beyond. To learn more about the different transportation options available to you as a Saratoga County resident, visit each of the linked information pages.